New P–12 assessment and moderation resources for schools
The Queensland Studies Authority (QSA) has developed a suite of P–12 assessment and moderation resources that will arrive in all schools this week. The suite comprises:
- Moderation — a way of working (DVD and CD)
Relevant to teachers across Years 1–10 as it models quality moderation processes using standards, evidence and Queensland Comparable Assessment Tasks (QCATs).
- School-based assessment and moderation in Years 11–12: The Queensland experience (DVD)
A step-by-step guide to externally moderated school-based assessment. Will be helpful to new teachers and moderation panellists and informative for students and parents/carers.
- School-based assessment: The Queensland system (booklet)
Describes the philosophy and evolution of school-based assessment in Queensland and argues for its continuation in an Australian curriculum.
Queensland's system of externally moderated school-based assessment in Years 11 and 12 is internationally respected. From nearly 40 years experience, we know it:
- builds teacher professionalism
- caters to the range of students' learning styles
- prepares students for situations they will face in further education and work
- encourages students' higher order thinking skills
- is fair and reliable.
With these benefits in mind, the QSA wishes also to support a culture of moderated school-based assessment in the early and middle years of learning. Quality moderation:
- is characterised by, and builds a shared understanding of standards, evidence and consensus
- enhances teachers' capacity to make consistent judgments about the quality of student work
- provides a common language when describing students' work.
An electronic version of the booklet, School-based assessment: The Queensland system, as well as assessment fact sheets, reports and a preview of the DVD, Moderation — a way of working, can be downloaded.