A new resource for schools and teachers, Learning P – 12, has been developed by the Queensland Studies Authority (QSA).
Learning P-12 describes Queensland’s integrated approach to teaching, learning, assessment and reporting for excellence and equity from the Preparatory Year to Year 12.
The integrated approach described in Learning P-12 is a result of research and consultation about the shape of QSA syllabuses and guidelines.
The syllabuses and guidelines now in place are based on the following underpinning concepts:
- syllabus design principles for excellence and equity
- phases of learning for sequence and cohesion
- content and achievement standards that provide clarity about the focus of teaching, learning and assessment balanced with flexibility for schools and teachers to make curriculum decisions about how best to promote learning.
The curriculum documents in Learning P-12 are aligned with national goals for education and support Queensland schools to provide:
- a solid foundation in knowledge, understanding, skills and values on which further learning and adult life can be built
- deep knowledge, understanding, skills and values that will enable advanced learning and an ability to create new ideas and translate them into practical applications
- general capabilities that underpin flexible and analytical thinking, a capacity to work with others and an ability to move across subject disciplines to develop new expertise.
Schools using the QSA syllabuses and guidelines described in Learning P–12 are well positioned to transition to the Australian curriculum from 2011.